Saturday 10 March 2012

The ants go marching two by two.....



A strange thing happens each and every time I scrub and mop my floor....the very next day the ants arrive! Oh I find the blighters mighty bloody annoying!

Why do they have to come into my home? surely there is enough food out there is NATURE for them to sustain their gazillion strong army? My big boy says that they are looking for food and ours tastes so much better than theirs does and that is why.  (he's pretty clever I am thinking) .

Normally they would be met with Mr Mortein...but I cannot use that in the living areas as the turtles tank is there and it could travel through the air and into the water and then bye bye turtles! So what to do?? At first I tried the ole' talcum powder trick. Apparently they cannot walk through it, so I found where they were coming from and placed talcum powder infront of them. This was a temporary fix....it seemed they were pretty determined to come into my house and so found a way around it. In a fit of rage at other life issues I did have a game of whack an ant with my thong the other day. That was not only a wonderful stress reliever but also highly effective. But unfortunately not a preventative.

Lets fast forward to two days ago. So I arrive home from work to discover that my floor that I had in the morning with no ants on it now had a thick trail of ants marching to and fro to a bit of food the children had missed placing in the bin! I felt rage but it was shortlived as I was distracted with making dinner, doing the night time routine and also looking after my sick big boy. As I didn't finish with the kids until late I had completely forgotten about the ants and just headed straight to bed, determined to get some sleep so I could rise early and do some work and also incase I was woken several times that night by my wheezy boy.

The next morning I arose and remembered about the ants. Gingerly walking in the kitchen I went to the spot where they had been working madly the evening previous and I was shocked! There was not one single ant left in the house. NOT.A.ONE! and the top most layer of the crumb of food was completely removed! The ants had taken what they needed to sustain their colony and then retreated!

AMAZING!

It suddenly reminded me of the chewing gum that was on my garage floor. My big boy had dropped it there and not thought of the censequences! By the time I had discovered it it was crusted over with dirt and a pain in the toosh to remove. Infact I placed it in the too hard basket and life moved on (although I had also placed it on the 'to do' list reserved for sometime before the end of time but not urgent) . One afternoon when in a rush to go and pick up the kids I found a large group of ants on the chewy. I ranted and raved about the fact that there they were, all over my floor and the chewy and why now?

Each day as I stepped over them and arghed them as I entered or exited the house I would think, I will have to deal with them soon before they come into the house as well (so another words I didn't get around to dealing with them at all!) .

Then one day...perhaps a week later? I have no idea but anyways...one day they had all disapearred! And on closer inspection I discovered that 95% of the chewy had disapearred too! :D . I stood and stared at that spot on the garage floor and I said a little thankyou to their hard work. They achieved something that nor my big boy or myself could! They had saved me a job and I felt in awe of them and also grateful.

Perhaps I can now see the purpose of the ant......just perhaps they are pretty darn cool indeed.

However they must be warned that travelling into my daughters room and onto her bed will not recieve my gratitude...only my thong on their heads!

Do you have an ant problem too? Have you ever noticed anything cool about the creepy crawlies that try to share your habitat with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment