Friday 9 March 2012

Leaving him hanging...



K had a day off school on Wednesday due to not being well while his little sister(A1) went as usual. After a day of resting and playing at home it was time to leave and pick her up.

We waited near the gate and finally she arrived, but so too did the Ks friends. He has Aspergers and he has tried so very hard to make friends and as a result he is very popular. He has a group of about 10 boys who he is friends with and who seek him out at school. I think it might be helped by Big boys sarcastic and humourous nature....he can make you laugh over nothing and he is very cool most of the time ;) . But having Aspergers means that sometimes he misses things, or so it seems.

One of his longest friends came up with his cool helmet on and cruising on his skateboard to say hi to K. BB\\K got out of the car and went on the grass to talk to him and about another 5 boys that had come over to say hi and find out why he wasn't at school that day. As H got near K on his skateboard he put his hand out and said, "Hey K, high five!" with his hand outstretched. K looked at him and then continued talking to one of the other boys, no outstretched hand, no high five. H looked a little taken aback and sad and then moved on from it watching K. I have known these boys for a while and H in particular and I called out from my side of the car, "Hey K, you left H hanging there!", K looked at me and I specified, "he asked for a high five and you totally dissed him!" and then laughed a little. For to tell K that he hasn't done something and not make it like a joke is meltdown provoking!

K looked at me and him and replied, "No I didn't! I didn't want him to fall off his skateboard". We both looked at him and he turned to him, frustrated at his lack of memory and said, "Remember! last time I gave you a high five when you were riding your skateboard and I gave you one you then fell off your skateboard and scraped your knee right about here (pointing to his own leg/ knee)" . H smiled a huge smile and said, "Oh Yeh, I remember!" and with that all order was restored to the world and I was put back in my place!

Sometimes my Aspie boy is not missing the social cues around him, sometimes it is us NT's who are missing the things that we should probably remember and see that he does. :)

1 comment:

  1. Your BigBoy is a beautiful soul. I think we have a lot to learn from him

    ReplyDelete