Monday 30 July 2012

Obsession of the sweetest kind...

My beautiful little boy turned 4 just two weeks ago. He is getting taller and stronger and learning more and more everyday.

Tonight he jumped into my arms when we got home from childcare and refused to let go. Like a little koala I carried him around the house before finally he agreed to let me go and watch the Gruffalo's Child while I cooked dinner.



This movie was something that he had wanted for a few weeks. Each time we saw it in the shops he begged for it and I said, "soon" . On friday night the big kids went to the school disco and my little man and I went on a dinner date to the local shops :) . We sat in the food court watching a free movie on the big screen set up for winter friday night viewings and then we went into the closest store which happened to be JB HiFi. It didn't take him long to find the dvd and begin the beg to own it. This particular time when I answered it was with a yes rather than no :) . He was thrilled.

His childcare teacher had introduced him to the book and the original movie and he had fallen in love with it. The dvd has been played so many times at home since then that I have lost count! When he becomes obsessed with something he really becomes obsessed :) .

Tomorrow morning we go to get the results of the Psychologists Autism Assessment at the Paed office. I am hoping that it is conclusive, that we have an answer and the assessment process will be over. We have already met a lovely Speech Therapist, we have had a terrific experience with the Psych which I will continue if need be...I am anxious to get started on helping him deal with the complexities that face him and his understandings of the social interactions and things in his world that don't quite make sense.

One thing I do know that makes perfect sense...he is perfect, totally, utterly, beautifully perfect and his Autism is just another part of that which makes him him. There is nothing to hate about that.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks L, he certainly is...my beautiful affectionate little koala :)

      Delete
  2. That last paragraph is just beautiful. No many times have you seen the Gruffulos Child, now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh E I really have lost count! :) at least it has beautiful credit music for when it's over and he runs away leaving it on :). As I said the the Paed at the moment that's his zone out activity..it helps to ground and calm him...after the transition from Childcare to home and his tiredness etc I've been making the most of it while cooking dinner ;)

      Delete