Sunday 1 April 2012

You totally stuffed up Bruno...

Sitting here waiting for K to arrive home from an outting at the footy with his Dad and Uncle I have a late night music program playing on the t.v in the background and the song, 'Count on Me' by Bruno Mars came on.

I remember the first time I ever heard this song. I was driving to work along a country rode, sides of the road flanked by farmland with spatterings of urban development and the hum of the nearby highway drowned out by the risen windows of the car. The sky was cloudy and mist was rising of the green fields scattered with rocks, dirt and gum trees. It is the only stretch of road on the way to work where I can do 100km and it is also the part where I usually have a wandering mind. This morning was no different, especially considering I was feeling incredibly low. The boys had a bad drop off at school and childcare and my heart hurt terribly from the seperation and everything that had since ensued from it.

Through my thoughts though filtered through this song....



I paid attention in a way I had not paid attention to anything for a very long time. Soaking in every single word as the volume rapidly increased beneath my fingers. This song summed up so very very clearly four people in my life. My very very closest of friends.

I found out what they were made of when my whole world completely crumbled around me.

When I collapsed and couldn't get up they came and helped me. They made sure I wasn't alone. They stood by me, they cheered me up and made sure I heard their words of encouragement and love at times I felt that there was no love left in the world for me.

When I couldn't stand me a moment longer they still could. When I told them to go, distance themselves from me and live their lives without my drama they did not. They told me that wasn't going to happen....that they were there for me. When they had heard it a few times they then beratted me and told me that one day I could repay them but for now just "Let ME be there for you" .

They brought my food, they fed my children and laughed with them while I cried in another room, offered to babysit, took us in when it became just too too much. The little messages that come through in the morning, afternoon, night....hi, how you going? lets watch this show together from our own comfortable houses via sms chat..did you see that on telly? how you going today? ... little bitty bits of 'hey i'm here, no pressure, answer when you can.

This song to me,  was about them, my true and closest friends.

That's why I was so disappointed when I saw the film clip because you know what Bruno...I think you missed a wonderful opportunity to show the diversity of real friends with this song. Instead you made it (as my students lamented last year) another romantic song.

Regardless of the film clip, this song makes me happy each and everytime I hear it because it makes me think of four extraordinary women who have held me up at times I could not do so on my own. And I only hope that one day I can repay that favour to them.

Do you have a song that reminds you of your friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment