Sunday 2 September 2012

Fathers Day...




This morning I had two little people climb in the bed, one on either side and chatting over me. My big boy K looked at me and said, "Happy Fathers Day Mum!". My daughter looked across to him and said, "she's not a father, she's a mother!" . He just smiled at me and didnt reply to her, instead steering the conversation to something else.

A few moments later they'd exited the room leaving me thinking about Ks comment. I never thought for a second that there was anything about today's celebration day that had anything to do with me, but I guess in many ways I am also the Dad majority of the time. I'm the one doing it all with the kids, each and every thing, making the decisions, running the day to day.

Playing footy, cricket and jumping in puddles. Climbing play centre structures with them, washing the car, mowing the lawns and looking for bugs. Going on bike rides, building of forts and reading gross books. Teaching them to ride a scooter and bike without training wheels, to climb rock walls and climbing webs. Teaching them to pee standing up as best I can (verbally, not through example! :0 )

And although their Dad is still around and sees them every two weeks, including today, which was great for the kids it's nice to know that my big boy appreciates me not just as his Mum but as his sometimes Dad too :)

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads or parents doing both jobs :).



No comments:

Post a Comment